I haven’t had the inclination to explore much with this rich red colored vegetable apart from just having them party boiled or by making cutlets which of course is wonderfully flavored but most definitely not the most healthy thing to binge on a regular basis.
So finally as the guilt cord struck me, I thought of making a large salad bowl with the Beets as the protagonist and the rest of the veggies that my fridge has in stock for me most of the time and thus arrived the Roasted Beetroot Salad 🙂
- 2 Beetroots
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 Cucumber
- 1-2 Tomatoes
- Nuts of your choice. I had cashews and walnuts in stock. 🙂
- Chopped Lettuce
- Chopped Kale
- Lightly Steamed Broccoli Florets
- Dried Cranberries
- grated vegan cheese (optional)
- and some croutons 🙂
Home Made Salad Dressing:
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider
- 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
And a drizzle of Vegan Mayo which is completely optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- Cut the beetroots into big pieces along with its skin on. Sprinkle some salt and warp them in foil paper. Once they are roasted and cooled, the skin will peel off easily.
- In another piece of foil paper, wrap a couple of cloves of garlic drizzled with some olive oil.
- Place the foil wrapped beet and garlic in the oven and bake them for at least 20-25 mins.
- Meanwhile you can have the rest of the salad ingredients chopped, the cheese grated & the dressing prepared and kept aside.
- Once the tray is out of the oven, allow it to cool down, unwrap the foils. The beet are now tender and can be peeled off so easily.
- Crush the roasted garlic and mix in with the rest of the lettuce, kale, tomatoes and other ingredients.
- chop the beets as per your desired size and mix it along with the rest.
- Finally, its time for seasoning and the salad dressing to go in and a colorful salad is just so easily ready.
Okay, to let you know, please don’t judge this salad by its name. This one was so quick and easy and basic that I had to name it as my ‘Elementary Salad’ , after all its the taste that matters in the end right? 🙂
There was a time when salad to me meant a plate that was adorned with circular disc like cucumbers, onions and tomatoes garnished with lemon juice, a bit of the most basic seasoning and arrive at the table as mandate part of our meals.
But as the evolution has taken its course, so has the salad. Honestly the grocery aisles confuse me like I could never explain. There is ton of salad dressing varieties, such attractive packaging, that time slips like faster than sand and if your vegan or say newly vegan.;) you know how it takes time to identify the ‘our’ things.
Anyways, coming back to the salad, it is indeed a refreshing bowl to me and to everyone. We may not have all the fancy items stocked up all the time but who cares when you are good at making fixes. 🙂 Me in particular, is a person who seldom likes to put hours in the kitchen, so the faster the better for me.
I really do not have a very fancy list of the stuffs that I have put into this bowl, so please pardon me on that but being a vegan fanatic, I would love to share my modesty. 🙂
The Things in The Bowl
- Lots of chopped lettuce
- Baby carrots
- Cucumbers Diced
- Tomatoes Chopped
- Steamed Brocolli Florets
- Some lime juice
- and the highlight of the day- Veggie Hot Dogs ( Microwaved for 30 sec, chopped and tossed in a skillet. They are really good. Please take my word for this one.
- I used a Thai mayo here, with peanut and soy base. You can pick what ever you like though.
- And for the final touch garnish it with some Sprouts. Tadaaa!
So nutrition quotient? I guess we have matched it up all right from the iron to the calcium and the minerals and not to forget the colorful bowl of greens is certainly tempting. 🙂
I have been literally obsessed looking up for, drooling and saving all those amazing vegan recipes that are flooded over the internet. Kudos to all the wonderful people making them and posting them for similar friends like me and helping us look ahead to peaceful, healthier and colorful ‘tomorrow’.