When, “where do you get your nutrition from?” is the most popular questions for vegetarians and vegans alike these days, nature seems to have thrown the answer to us, just in time and that too in abundance ~ KALE.Kale is topping the charts in terms of whole food nutrition and pretty much flooding the green grocery section as the show stopper. Well, if we were to discuss the benefits of this leafy produce that belongs to the cabbage family, to enlist that here, would be a mere dishonest job on my side.
However , I just cannot emphasize less to modestly mention it’s power when it comes to it’s carotenoid nutrient, that supports eye health and even can improve glaucoma and promising doses of Vit K,calcium, magnesium, potassium, omega 3, folates, protein, iron, phosphorus, the B family of vitamins & fiber. Phew! I am sure , I still may have missed some here.
While Kale can be consumed in the form of a salad, even these steamed Kale cutlets here are not a bad variation at all for a change in taste, for treating guests with a healthy starter option, or just to prepare them in advance and store them in the freezer and toss out a patty once in while. Quite a few options here 🙂
- A bunch of kale
- 2-3 boiled potatoes
- 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste
- 6 Tbs of dry roasted chickpea flour/gram flour
- 1/2 tsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp of carom/ajwain seeds
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Bread crumbs to coat and shallow fry.
- Blanch the kale leaves in hot salt water until soft and blend it in a blender.
- In a hot pan with a tsp of oil, temper with carom seeds and ginger garlic paste and add the kale puree to it and mix well.Add the spices and stir until the excess water dries out and keep aside.
- Dry roast 6 tbsp of gram-flour in a vessel and keep stirring gently to avoid it from burning or over roasting.
- In a mixing bowl, add the seasoned kale, mashed boiled potatoes, the roasted gram flour and knead it in a consistency that helps you make small cakes out of it. The gramflour and the potatoes both help in keeping the kale together.
- Cool this mixture completely at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Your mix is now ready to be used right away or for a cold ‘stored away’ to be served later. 🙂
- Scoop a a large tbsp of the mixture and make small patties pressing against your palms. Roll them into the breadcrumbs and shallow fry them, flipping gently on both sides.
Serve hot with a dip of your choice or simply with some classic ketchup.♥
I have an extreme fondness for mushrooms especially the brown Baby Bella mushrooms. Not that I am particularly choosy, I also do love the white button mushrooms as well. 🙂 While, I seldom feel that mushrooms have been taken over casually just to be considered as an optional or customary pizza topping, Mushrooms can in general may be more than just what meets the eye.
Apart from the chunky texture and its own natural, partially neutral flavors, these cute smurfs also contains dietary mineral phosphorus, riboflavin, niacin and the B vitamins along with traces of Vit D.
Not only as an added ingredients, Mushrooms stuffed with Spinach or any stuffing of your choice can make them a showstopper by themselves. These mushrooms are an ‘easy to make’ appetizers or snacks with a healthy touch. I personally like the traditional spinach stuffing and thus tried this one out. 🙂
- 1/2 to 1 packet of mushrooms
- 3-4 minced garlic
- grated vegan Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese of your choice
- some spinach leaves washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup of sweet corn
- salt, pepper & some mixed herb seasoning to taste.
- 1/3 cup of bread crumbs
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Chop them into small pieces & keep aside.
- Scoop a part of the mushrooms out so as to make room for the filling.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- In a pan,heat some oil and throw in the minces garlic and the mushroom stems.
- Add salt, pepper and seasoning and cook until the stems become soft.
- Now add the chopped spinach leaves & the corn kernels to it and cook on low flame, till all comes together as a nice moist but not a juicy filling.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- Now, line a baking tray with a foil paper and sprinkle it with some cooking oil or spray.
- Place the mushrooms upside down on the tray and fill them with a portion of the filling.
- Top the bottom filled side with cheese of your choice and sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top.
- Put the tray into the oven and allow it to bake for 15-20 mins and your done. 😀
Allow it to cool for 2-3 minute and they are just ready to be served and eaten away at once.♥
I love Gardein Products. I have to admit that I have loved each one of those that i have tried so far and literally can’t wait for the others. I have been an occasional chicken consumer in the past but these products are a such a good alternative in terms of health, taste and food investment. They are also an extremely good idea to introduce to friends and family who are tough people to convince that Vegan food as more variety give a chance. 🙂
To cut matters short 😉 I occasionally have a packet or two of this handy with me in case I run out of time or am let down by laziness. 😛
This packet comes with its own packet of sauce that can add to the gravy but I always like innovating with the flavors and be happily surprised. 😀
What you’ll need:
- 1 packet of Veggie Chick’n.
- 1 cup frozen veggies
- green and other colored bell peppers (if you’d like)
- some broccoli florets
- finely minced garlic cloves
- diced onions
- some thickly diced mushrooms
- 1-2 jalapenos
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- In a vessel, heat some oil. shallow fry the nuggets as per instructions on the back cover and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil, add the chopped onions and the garlic and saute for some time.
- Add salt, vinegar, soy sauce, tomato ketchup and chili sauce.
- Mix well and add the remaining veggies and cook on high heat.
- Gently add the veggie chick’n nuggets that had been put aside and empty the sauce from the packet as provided.
- gently fold this and cover all the ingredients and let it cook under cover on low heat, for 5 more minutes and you are done. 😀
Serve with hot plain or fried rice and enjoy this delicious meal right out of your kitchen, yet another time. YAY!