I have an extreme fondness for mushrooms especially the brown Baby Bella mushrooms. Not that I am particularly choosy, I also do love the white button mushrooms as well. 🙂 While, I seldom feel that mushrooms have been taken over casually just to be considered as an optional or customary pizza topping, Mushrooms can in general may be more than just what meets the eye.
Apart from the chunky texture and its own natural, partially neutral flavors, these cute smurfs also contains dietary mineral phosphorus, riboflavin, niacin and the B vitamins along with traces of Vit D.
Not only as an added ingredients, Mushrooms stuffed with Spinach or any stuffing of your choice can make them a showstopper by themselves. These mushrooms are an ‘easy to make’ appetizers or snacks with a healthy touch. I personally like the traditional spinach stuffing and thus tried this one out. 🙂
- 1/2 to 1 packet of mushrooms
- 3-4 minced garlic
- grated vegan Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese of your choice
- some spinach leaves washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup of sweet corn
- salt, pepper & some mixed herb seasoning to taste.
- 1/3 cup of bread crumbs
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Chop them into small pieces & keep aside.
- Scoop a part of the mushrooms out so as to make room for the filling.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- In a pan,heat some oil and throw in the minces garlic and the mushroom stems.
- Add salt, pepper and seasoning and cook until the stems become soft.
- Now add the chopped spinach leaves & the corn kernels to it and cook on low flame, till all comes together as a nice moist but not a juicy filling.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- Now, line a baking tray with a foil paper and sprinkle it with some cooking oil or spray.
- Place the mushrooms upside down on the tray and fill them with a portion of the filling.
- Top the bottom filled side with cheese of your choice and sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top.
- Put the tray into the oven and allow it to bake for 15-20 mins and your done. 😀
Allow it to cool for 2-3 minute and they are just ready to be served and eaten away at once.♥
This vegan side is an inspiration from the typical and popular Indian Paneer Tikka Masala recipe. Paneer or the Indian Cottage Cheese is such a popular vegetarian ingredient that it’s probably the first protein providing item that strikes every possible mind when it comes to vegetarian eating. I am so glad that additional to plant based milks, Tofu has too gained a substantial ground in vegetarian/vegan eating, not to mention how much a healthier version it is by itself.
The ‘Tikka Masala’ concept as I understand, involves an aromatic marination of the key ingredients, tossing or shallow frying them and using them in a thick and lip-smacking gravy and it also means that I could not have waited any longer. 😀
- 1 packet of extra firm tofu – pressed, drained and cut into medium/large sized cubes
- 1 green bell pepper- diced
- 2 medium onion- 1 diced and the other chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes – pureed
- 2-3 green chilies split (optional)
- 1 cup soy curd
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp red chili powder ( for color)
- 1 tsp garam masal powder
- 1/4 cup of cashew paste- (soak cashews in water for 30-45 mins and grind them in a blender to form a rich white paste)
- water 2 cups
- salt as per taste
- cooking oil
- chopped cilantro to garnish
- In a deep mixing bowl, add the curd, the red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, 1 tsp of the turmeric powder, ginger -garlic paste and mix well to prepare a batter.
- To this batter add the the diced capsicum, the onions and the tofu cubes and coat them well leaving it for at least 30 min to marinate.
- In a shallow pan, add some oil and place the bell peppers, onions and the tofu cubes, frying them on both sides and then keep them aside.
- In a frying wok, add a tbsp of oil. To that add the chopped onions, some salt and saute until soft.
- Add the pureed tomatoes & the split green chilies to the saute onions and mix well.
- Add the cashew paste, remaining red chili powder,turmeric powder, garam masala powder and 1/2 -1 cup of water. Mix all well and allow it to simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- After this add the kept aside fried tofu, bell pepper and onion cubes and the remaining batter if left to this gravy, some water and allow it to boil till the gravy begins to thicken. Check the seasoning to suit your taste of salt and you are done. 🙂
Adding freshly chopped cilantro enhances the taste of this simple yet rich Indian- Vegan version of the Tikka Masala recipe and it goes extremely well with white rice, pulao, Indian flat breads and so much more. 🙂
It had been quite some time away from my food blog so I thought I could try and make yet another spicy and lip smacking treat that can also be such a good match, now that the weather has started setting into the winter mode. 🙂
Zesty Nachos is not something I will claim as my own though the modifications to the vegan version can be called my brain child.:D I had seen this on the menu of an American Diner and I couldn’t resist trying it back home. And once I did try it out, I am so tempted to make it like a quick easy ritual as a starter for guests coming over or just as a comfort cheat snack while getting prepared to watch a movie. 🙂
So here it is. 🙂
- 1 packet of Nachos Chips. ( the ones I used here are organic from the brand 365)
- Veganaise from Follow your Heart. I love this brand and this vegan mayo is so worth a try.
- Vegan Cheddar and Provolone style Cheese from Follow your Heart. ( I generally keep these in stock .:) )
- 1 small Bell pepper or capsicum copped
- Chopped onions
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Chopped Cilantro
- 1-2 green chilies chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Pepper and Chunky Chaat Masala (available at any Indian store) to be sprinkled over. If you wish you may omit the chaat masala. I added it to give the taste a twist. 🙂
♥That’s it. Simple isn’t it.♥
- Spread out the nacho chips randomly on your dish that fits into your microwave.
- Now add all the chopped veggies on top of the Nachos.
- Cover this with the grated vegan cheeses.
- Set the plate into the microwave to heat for a 1 min – 1 min 30 secs and you will see this cheese melt too.
- You may also set your plate in your oven for 3-5 mins at 350F/180C if you have a larger crowd to please. 🙂
- Top it with a spoon of Veganaise and dig into this vegan cheat snack. You will love it. :
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. 🙂
Happy Vegan Cooking