Cultivated first by the Romans, with distinct flavors and unending list of health benefits, is the one root produce that is so hard to beat. Beetroots belong to the same family as of the spinach and while its leaves taste bitter, its root is naturally sweet can be eaten raw, cooked or even pickled.
With high levels of antioxidants, liver detoxing properties and the antidote for overall good health, maintenance of the digestive tract and a natural controller for high blood pressure and its distinct rich crimson color makes it a such a steal-deal from mother nature.
While I have tried this wonder root raw, boiled, roasted in salads and seasoned for falafels, I couldn’t resist the idea of baking them into crispy chips for a healthy snack and I am so glad to have tried it. 😀
And the bonus here is that its so simple that you would regret not having tried it at least once. 🙂
For these healthy chips you would need:
- 2-3 beetroots
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to season
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- and fresh or dried rosemary leaves for some aroma
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F or 190 C
- Wash and peel the beetroots and using a mandoline or handheld slicer, slice the beets into dainty thin slices.
- Line a baking tray with foil or parchment paper and brush some oil on the surface.
- Place the beet slices, avoiding to overlap, on the parchment paper, drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle over the seasoning with the rosemary leaves, keeping the salt seasoning for the last.
- Pop the tray in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until crisp, rotating the tray halfway through the cooking time.
- Allow the chips to now completely cool off, sprinkle some sea salt sea salt and watch them being munched away in no time. ♥